BSD Middle Schools 2022-2023
How will conferences work this year?
The fall conferences for BSD middle schools will be led by students. Many middle schools in Vermont and around the country are moving to this model. Families have the option to have a virtual or in-person conference at both Hunt and Edmunds this fall.
How is a student-led conference different from a parent-teacher conference?
In a student-led conference, the student presents their work and their perspective on their learning, strengths, challenges, and goals. Our 6th, 7th and 8th graders have started preparing to present their strengths, challenges, and goals for this school year, and to show some examples of their work. There will also be a chance for families to share their thoughts and ask questions.
Why is the Burlington School District holding student-led conferences instead of teacher-led conferences?
One of the top priorities for our district is deeper learning for every student. We want students to feel empowered and engaged, and we want our practices to meet the individual needs of each student. We commit to providing students agency in education. A student-led conference is a way to put the student’s learning and their voice about their experience at the center of the conversation, and to ensure that they are partners in their education.
The student-led conferences are also part of the Burlington middle schools Personalized Learning Plans, or PLP, process. Through the PLP, students consider their own strengths and challenges, set goals, identify steps toward progress, gather evidence of progress, and reflect. These are the same habits and skills that students learn by participating in a student-led conference.
When are conferences?
- Monday, November 21 and Tuesday, November 22.
- There is no regularly scheduled school on those days.
- Families have the option to attend a virtual conference; all virtual conferences will be scheduled on Tuesday, November 22.
How do I schedule my student’s conference?
- We are using PTCFast (a conference scheduling system) to sign up for conferences
- You can access conference times here→ https://ptcfast.com/schools/Edmunds_Middle
- When signing up for team conferences – please be sure to ONLY sign-up for your students’ team teacher or exploratory teacher
- PLEASE NOTE: Since we need to accommodate all students and families, please know that families are able to sign up for ONE conference with core teams only. If you sign up for more than one conference slot with your child’s core team, we will reach out to ask which to keep and cancel to bring it back to one conference registration.
Reminder: Conferences are IN-PERSON (Monday, 21st) and VIRTUAL (Tuesday, 22nd)
- Important reminders: Google Meet Instructions
- Make sure to only join the meet at the time and date you have signed up for and be mindful that teachers are holding a number of meetings throughout the day
- Access the Google Meet through the link that your student’s teacher has provided (through a Google account) → it should be listed under location on the PTCFast invite
- If you can’t access the link or can’t make the meeting. Please make sure to email your teacher.
How can I give feedback?
After your student’s conference, please click this link to give feedback! Family Feedback – Student-Led Conferences
Where can I learn more about student-led conferences?
The UVM Tarrant Institute for Innovative Education has some excellent resources.