Where the Mountain Meets
the Moon or a Golden Dome Award Nomination
Your 6th grade teachers will bike to your house this summer and gift you a book: your own copy of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin. All incoming sixth graders will receive this book, but you may read any book of your choosing. Consider reading one of the Golden Dome Award nominations for 22-23 shown below.
After you finish your book, your 6th-grade teacher would love to hear from you this summer! You are welcome to write about any book you’ve read this summer. Please use the postcard or stationery and envelope provided to you. Tell them about yourself and what you have been doing over the summer. Please make sure that you include a summary of your book and an answer to one of the following questions.
- Who was your favorite character and why?
- Who would enjoy this book and why?
- Reference a quote or text from the book and tell why you think this is important.
- Compare or contrast this book with another book or a movie.
- What was the best or most interesting part of the book? Why?
Slideshow of Golden Dome Nominees
Jason Reynolds or
Next year we will have the opportunity to meet with both Jason Reynolds and Jarrett Krosoczka! Please read any of their books to prepare for their visits. Both have graphic novels and chapter books on a variety of topics. Visit the Fletcher Free Library, where you can find many copies of each book.
If you need help finding ways to access books online over the summer:
- Use the Sora website to discover, read and listen to books online Learn more about Sora by watching this video
- Sora — Vermont Schools Shared Digital Collection Go to Find My School and then select Burlington Public Schools (you may need to locate Edmunds Middle School first) and sign in to Sora by logging in using your school Google email!
- Go to the EMS online catalog called Destiny Discover to access more ebooks and audiobooks online
- Go to The Fletcher Free Public Library Digital Library and Summer Challenge FFL Hours
Click here to visit the full summer reading explanation and see the great books on the Golden Dome nominations and all the books by Jason Reynolds and Jarrett Krosoczka.
Register Now for the Summer Reading Challenge 2022 Tails & Tales sponsored through the Vermont Department of Libraries. It’s easy!!! Go to… https://fletcherfree.org/summer
Library Online Catalogs
The EMS Online Catalog
The Fletcher Free Online Catalog
EMS Library Links to Resources
Common Lit Reading Program
Vermont Writers Collaborative Resources
Vermont Online Library ~ CultureGrams
The Vermont State Library links to great websites